Sunday, February 26, 2012

NY Memories

When I am depressed a happy memory can get me through the day. Has this happened to you? Have you been down and all of a sudden something reminds you of a time when you were happier and that is enough to bring you from the depths and set you aright? Recently I had chance to reaffirm this while I was travelling with my family in New York City.

I met up with an old friend who is a successful Broadway actor living the dream in the Big Apple. We sort of grew up in similar surroundings. That is to say we both grew up in suburbia, middle class, actively Jewish family. Beyond those parameters I don't really know. I did have the opportunity to be part of a few productions he was involved in and although he claims we were onstage together I don't remember that. I do remember assistant directing a holiday production he acted and sang in but to avoid any embarrassment I won't go into details.

So it was about 30 + years since I had seen him and I was thrilled to be able to spend some time chatting over a cup of Joe and just playing catch up. He had some very exciting news to share and we were thrilled to be part of that. I don't know how much of an impression the whole thing was on my boys but they too seemed grateful for this pause in our busy travel schedule and his acting life for us to act like New Yorkers for a few minutes and not the tourists that we really were.

We each talked about what we are doing now and managed to insert a few dull memories. Do you remember so and so, or do you remember when...? Most of the memories have faded. He asked me about an acting job I had and then we told him about our trip to New York so far. He then mentioned that he too had tried out for a part at said theater..and when the dust settled we had both tried out for the same part, but I had gotten it!

Wow. It was even sweeter than having landed the part in the first place.

Like today's Redskins gloating over the fact that they beat the Super Bowl Champion NY Giants - TWICE in the same season. It really doesn't matter if their season was a complete flop, but by virtue of the fact that their was a past success against a team that went on to take the crown dulls the pain. Just knowing that I had tried out for a part and got it over someone who is now a known NY celeb is fuel for my ego which will last me until my next "blue"day... at least until tomorrow.

No comments: